The challenge was to completely renovate and quadruple
the size of an existing, nondescript 1957 library
on a very tight urban site. The solution was to
expand one story to the north and expand two stories
to the south, creating a tri-level cross section
with the circulation desk on the mid-level to view
and supervise all levels.
The design uses natural daylight throughout the
interior as a central theme. All book stacks are
oriented in the north/south direction so that
the natural light can filter into the interior
spaces. Reading areas are located in the center
atrium and along the glass walls on the north
and south with these areas shielded from direct
sun by a system of sun shades and reflectors.